Resolver configuration

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Jun 29 18:27:15 UTC 1999

In article <7l9sii$9jj$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <akreienbuhl at yahoo.com> wrote:
>The windows 9x/NT resolver needs to be configured with a hostname.
>I don't see that directive for the resolve.conf

On Unix you configure the hostname using the "hostname" command.  I don't
think the hostname configuration in Windows would be considered part of the
"resolver" configuration; it just happens to be on the same DNS screen as
the resolver configuration.

>Does it matter if several windows 95 client have the same hostname(from
>a resolver point of view, of course each machine has it's own netbios
>name and none of the machines are registered in any Name Servers.
>They're just merely using DNS facilities)?

The resolver shouldn't care what the local hostname is.

It's conceivable that some applications may get confused if they look up
the local hostname and get an IP address different from the local IP
address.  Often when people ask for a way to find out the local IP address
they're advised to do something like (gethostbyname(gethostname()).

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com