question about serial numbers

Villy Kruse vek at pharmnl.ohout.pharmapartners.nl
Wed Jun 30 10:43:31 UTC 1999

In article <19990625112153.A404 at samurai.com>,
Bryan Fullerton  <bryanf at samurai.com> wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 09:37:13AM -0500, Craig Dupree <cdupree at uta.edu> wrote:
>>
>> For our SOA serial number we use the format YYMMDDN ( N being the
>> Nth update performed that day ).
>
>Your serial numbers are not y2000 compliant, which is especially bad if you
>have automated systems updating your zone files.

It would be if you start using 100MMDDN next year and 101MMDDN the following
year.  There is no requirement that the serail number is at all related
to the date.

>I use YYYYMMDDNN.  Works fine, has for years.

That would fail when you reach 4294967295, when the number wraps back to zero.
Not that I would expect DNS to be around in year 4294 anyway.

Villy