Help re: MX record

David T. Smith dsmith at uswebcks.com
Wed Jun 2 11:00:35 UTC 1999

At 12:03 AM 6/2/99 GMT, sabbah22 at my-deja.com wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We have set up DNS using BIND (sort of a franken-config but thats
>another story) and we're having a problem getting the rest of the
>internet to able to send mail to our domain. (in a way..)
>
>>From the outside, I can send mail to "me at mail.domain.com", where
>mail.domain.com is specified in our DNS files and exists as a host,
>however I would rather be able to send mail to "me at domain.com" instead.

You can set up MX records with wildcards:

domain.com. 	MX    10 mail.domain.com.
*.domain.com.  MX    10 mail.domain.com.

The first line takes care of your specific problem.  The second line
handles mail to arbitrary hosts in your domain (especially good if you have
a split DNS), but is not necessary if you put MX records for each name
listed in your zone files.

THe '10' after the MX RR type gives a preference for mail exchanges so if
you had more than one mail server you could create MX records for both
and forward to each at different priorities.
DTS
D A V I D  T .   S M I T H
Principal Consultant, Network Solutions
USWeb/CKS Corporation       http://www.uswebcks.com/
50 Washington Street 6th Floor
South Norwalk, CT 06854
ph:  1 203 857 0080
fax: 1 203 857 0082
mailto: dsmith at uswebcks.com

USWeb/CKS - A Strategic Partner for the Information Age