How to trace cache information?

Edwin de Graaf graaf at surf.iae.nl
Wed Jun 2 10:10:32 UTC 1999

In article <199906012242.IAA20627 at bsdi.dv.isc.org>,
 <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote:

>	Add "host-statistics yes;" to named.conf.  The dump will then have
>	the IP address of the machine that provided you with this answer.

>> We are using Bind version 8.1 on FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your answer, but it seems that host-statistics does not work
yet in Bind 8.1. I added "host-statistics yes;" to the named.conf file,
but I still only get the following lines in the dump:
;capacity       593     IN      A       NXDOMAIN        ;-$

$ORIGIN capacity.nl.
mail    345593  IN      A       195.86.70.194   ;NT=63 Cr=addtnl

I think (reading the CHANGES file) that this functionality was added after
8.1.1.

I tried upgrading to Bind 8.2, but this reliably causes the OS to reboot
after a few hours, so I went back to 8.1. It may be the case that there
are some FreeBSD specific modifications needed that are not in the Bind
standard distribution, or else we may need to upgrade to a later version
of FreeBSD 3-STABLE. I'll have to look into that some more ...

Best regards,
Edwin de Graaf
--
"O Oysters, come and walk with us!" The Walrus did beseech.