Basic questions about secondary NS

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Sat Jun 5 00:22:13 UTC 1999

In article <7j9kka$prt$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <brunohaller at my-deja.com> wrote:
>How can i easily get my other Nameserver serve as Secondary NS for all
>these zones?
>Is it enough to copy named.conf and change "master" to "slave".

You also need to add "masters { <address of master> };" to each one.

>Do the filenames used in named.conf need to exist or are they created
>when getting zoneinformation from the primary NS.

Created automatically.

>how can i get the config-file to the secondary(mail,http)?

There are many file transfer tools: FTP, rcp, scp, rsync, mirror, etc.

>Would it be better to copy all zonefiles too or to let the secondary
>get the zonedata from the primary?

If you copy all the zonefiles, you could configure both servers as masters.
Then you don't have to worry about the above issue of changing master to
slave, you can just use the same named.conf file on both machines.  The
master/slave mechanism is mostly useful in an environment where you're
editing files by hand; if you're creating them automatically, you can just
push the same files to both servers using the same copy mechanism.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com