Zone transfert between NT & Unix

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Fri Jun 4 18:42:40 UTC 1999

> I use Bind 8.1.2 on a Solaris, I want to transfert a zone from an NT
> server (probably BIND 4.9) and when I reload this error appears :
>
> dns1 named-xfer[6490]: "fnr.xxx.com IN 65281" - unknown type (65281)
> dns1 named-xfer[6490]: print_output: unparseable answer (4), zone
> fnr.xxx.com

That's a common problem which, I'm pleased to say, is covered in the
Interoperability Problems section of the Troubleshooting chapter of "DNS and
BIND."

In short, the Microsoft DNS Server is including a WINS record in the zone
transfer, which the BIND slave doesn't understand.  You can check a box on
the Zone Properties window in DNS Manager labeled "Settings affect only
local server" to prevent the Microsoft DNS Server from including the WINS
record in zone transfers.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.