Basic questions about secondary NS

Olivier M. XU*HVL at technologist.com
Sat Jun 5 15:33:30 UTC 1999

Hi Bruno,

<brunohaller at my-deja.com> ecrivait/schrieb/wrote:
>Because i do need an easy-to-use webinterface to my zones, i decided to
>put all the zone data in a mySQL-Database.
>Every hour these database is read by a script, the /etc/named.conf is
>created and all zonefiles in /var/named/master/ which was emptied
>before.
Hey, that sounds cool to me :) Would it be possible to have a look
at your scripts, and your table structure ?

>So this is what happens on the Primary.
>How can i easily get my other Nameserver serve as Secondary NS for all
>these zones?
Well, I guess the secondary is on another server. You can also install
a mysql client there, that gets the data from the main server, and
generate there its own named.conf. I would use a cron job for that.

The slave named.conf file looks like the primary one, with this kind
of entries :

zone "intermedia-synergie.ch" {
        type slave; masters { 212.28.128.195; };
        file "slave/intermedia-synergie.ch";
};

or a little bit more secure :

zone "swiss.ch" {
        allow-update { 212.28.128.195; };
        type slave; masters { 212.28.128.195; };
        file "slave/swiss.ch";
};

>Is it enough to copy named.conf and change "master" to "slave".
well, the slave must also know where it's master is...

>Do the filenames used in named.conf need to exist or are they created
they are created automaticaly.

>when getting zoneinformation from the primary NS.
>how can i get the config-file to the secondary(mail,http)?
mysql client. to trigger the update, a cgi or a mail trigger
would be fine.

>Would it be better to copy all zonefiles too or to let the secondary
>get the zonedata from the primary?
IMHO it's not the best idea to copy the zonefiles, but it would
probably work.

>Please help
Hope to hear soon from you :)

Cheers,