can't find 'change directory' in V8

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Jun 7 18:23:59 UTC 1999

In article <7jdqsl$tpa$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <billw1955 at my-deja.com> wrote:
>In V4, I created a hierarchical structure of included named.boot files
>and zone files to handle a large number of .us zones. There's a state
>level, city level, and then as many as two domain levels below that. I
>used the directory statement heavily to make relative changes in the
>current directory to navigate the hierarchy. The highest level
>named.boots contain only directory statements and includes of the next
>level down. The conversion utility supplied with V8 doesn't produce a
>useful result from those files. The lower level named.boots generally
>contain primary statements, but some have directory and include
>statements as well. The conversion utility converts the primary
>statements to zone statements as advertised and, again, nothing useful
>becomes of the directory and include statements.

What you were doing was never intended to work.  You should only have a
single directory statement in a named.boot, and it should be before all the
other primary/secondary statements.  The reason is that named only
remembers the relative paths, so when it performs zone transfers it will do
them into whatever directory the *last* directory statement specified.
Your scheme may have worked if you were primary for all your domains, but
secondary zones would not have worked as intended.

>No 'change directory' mechanism is obvious to me in V8. The directory
>substatement of the options statement won't solve the problem - only the
>first occurrence of option is parsed - nor have I found a symbol
>substitution mechanism. All I can see to do is to fill my hierarchy of
>(now) named.confs full of absolute pathnames for zone files and I find
>that very ugly.

That's what you'll have to do.  You could always write a preprocessor using
Perl or Awk that generates your named.conf file for you.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com