http://3505021947 - how does this resolve?

Jeff Schreiber schreiber at process.com
Tue Jun 8 17:55:21 UTC 1999

Dan Winchester <andy.stowell at virgin.net> writes:

>I'm seeing more and more addresses in the format above.
>
>How do they resolve? What organisation allocates them? Are they in any
>way derived from the IP address?

    Quite simply

    It's an IP address.  Most resolvers will take IPaddrs in regular dotted
    form, or in hex or decimal form.

    3505021947 is in hex 0xD0EA63FB
    Which D0 = 208, EA = 234, 63 = 99, FB = 251.

    So... try connecting to http://208.234.99.251

    Or even:

    % nslookup 208.234.99.251
        Name:    www.freestation.com
        Address:  208.234.99.251

    http://www.freestation.com/

    People often use the hex or decimal representation to sneak by poorly
    written web filters.

                                                -Jeff

--
Jeff Schreiber,            Process Software Corp.
schreiber at mx.process.com   http://www.process.com