Problems with naming resolution

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Jun 9 13:55:22 UTC 1999

In article <19990609122857.46138.qmail at hotmail.com>,
John Tan  <d_name at hotmail.com> wrote:
>Other people seem to be having problems accessing / resolving names via my
>name server. For example, if I try ls -d internet.gov.sg. from
>other name servers I get an unspecified error. But I seem to be able
>to query correctly. Intermittently users complain that they cannot
>resolve the DNS names. The DNS is pridns.gov.sg. appreciate any assistance.

The "ls" command uses zone transfers, and you can only do zone transfers
from an authoritative nameserver.  You should not expect it to work when
using other name servers.  Ordinary queries should work, though.  I tried a
few with my name server and they worked fine.  If you still think there's a
problem, please be more specific than "havig problems accessing / resolving
names"; give some examples that don't involve zone transfers, since they're
normally only used by slave servers, not ordinary resolving.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com