Bind 8.x will it ever be port to NT

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Sun Jun 13 19:33:30 UTC 1999

Bill.Roberts <bill.roberts at home.com> wrote in message
news:<003a01beb4dc$2d395750$6b564018 at home.com>...
> Hi will was wondering if bind 8.x will ever be ported over to NT from
> the member of the ISC Bind Group or are we expecting Microsoft to come
> with a DNS service that has all the neat feature on of dynamic DNS.in
> the current 8.2.

Both.  One of the major design goals of BIND 8.2, as I understand it, is
(better) portability to Windows NT.  And the Microsoft DNS Server in Windows
2000 supports dynamic update, as defined in RFC 2136.

> Seems to me that so long that MS keeps using there Netbios over TCP we
> may never get there without some sort of Wins server as well.

Boy, never heard of Windows 2000, eh?

Windows 2000 clients don't use WINS; they use DNS.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.