sneak in RR without SOA

Christine.Tran at East.Sun.COM Christine.Tran at East.Sun.COM
Mon Jun 14 15:22:45 UTC 1999

        Gurus,

        Questions apply to BIND8.2p1 on Solaris 2.6. I want to know if these
        are illegal, even if they might work.

        1)  If I have a zone with only one single entry, that is, the zone is
        top100-jelly.com, and the only entry is
                @       IN    A    11.22.33.44

        can I cheat and forget about the SOA record for this zone?  I already
        have a fully populated jelly.com zone; in the db file, how if I sneak a
        FQDN in there like this:
                apple                   IN      A       11.22.33.1
                top100-jelly.com.       IN      A       11.22.33.44
                grape                   IN      A       11.22.33.2

        2)  Can I have "www.pectin" as name? I remember reading in an RFC that
        periods are used as delimiters but I can't remember the RFC number. This
        gets me out of having to create a subdomain pectin.jelly.com with one
        entry - www.

        3) My overzealous legal dept. has registered jelly.com, jelly.net and
        jelly.org.  If they had their ways we would also have jelly.mil,
        jelly.gov and jelly.edu.  My jelly.net and jelly.org zones are empty
        except for the SOA record.  I want to return hosts in jelly.com for
        querries about jelly.net and jelly.org.  I don't want to write 5000
        CNAME entries and keep them straight.  I want to do this at the DNS
        level with one fell swoop.  Can BIND8.2 accomodate this?

        Regards,

        QCT