sneak in RR without SOA

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Jun 14 18:45:55 UTC 1999

Sorry about the first one.  It's Monday, and either my fingers or my
keyboard worked faster than my brain.

>         1)  If I have a zone with only one single entry, that is, the zone is
>         top100-jelly.com, and the only entry is
>                 @       IN    A    11.22.33.44
>
>         can I cheat and forget about the SOA record for this zone?  I already
>         have a fully populated jelly.com zone; in the db file, how if I sneak a
>         FQDN in there like this:
>                 apple                   IN      A       11.22.33.1
>                 top100-jelly.com.       IN      A       11.22.33.44
>                 grape                   IN      A       11.22.33.2

No to both questions.

>         2)  Can I have "www.pectin" as name? I remember reading in an RFC that
>         periods are used as delimiters but I can't remember the RFC number. This
>         gets me out of having to create a subdomain pectin.jelly.com with one
>         entry - www.

absolutely.

>         3) My overzealous legal dept. has registered jelly.com, jelly.net and
>         jelly.org.  If they had their ways we would also have jelly.mil,
>         jelly.gov and jelly.edu.  My jelly.net and jelly.org zones are empty
>         except for the SOA record.  I want to return hosts in jelly.com for
>         querries about jelly.net and jelly.org.  I don't want to write 5000
>         CNAME entries and keep them straight.  I want to do this at the DNS
>         level with one fell swoop.  Can BIND8.2 accomodate this?

If you don't mind returning
	> grape.jelly.com
	Name: grape.jelly.com
	Address: 300.300.300.300
	> grape.jelly.net
	Name: grape.jelly.net
	Address: 300.300.300.300
	> grape.jelly.org
	Name: grape.jelly.org
	Address: 300.300.300.300
then you can do this by having the three domains refer to the same
zone file, and have most or all of the addresses in that file be
relative instead of absolute.  It depends on how far you want to go.

Reverse DNS, of course, will only refer to one.

If you insist that queries return, e.g.:
	> grape.jelly.net
	Name: grape.jelly.com
	Address: 300.300.300.300
	Aliases: grape.jelly.net
then you will HAVE to generate CNAMEs.  3000.  What a boring, mindless
job.  Perfect for a script in whatever your favourite scripting
language is.  ;-)

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B