Slaves as masters, and BIND8 NOTIFY

Markus Stumpf maex-bind-users at Space.Net
Tue Jun 15 17:19:51 UTC 1999

On Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 11:15:39AM -0400, Joseph S D Yao wrote:
> This is only per the documentation.  I have not (yet) done more than
> glance at the NOTIFY code, or test this.  But there are warning
> messages in the code about having "notify" options set for zones that
> are neither master nor slave; so this supports the parallel handling of
> this.

We have set up (8.1.2) servers on all our web hosting machines
(for speedup and to reduce network load).
These are forwarders only but they are configured as secondaries for
our own domain and net blocks.

Our main dns servers are configured to notify-also all those web hosting
machines and it works fine for about 1 year now.
Logfiles show that the main servers send out notifies to the web hosters
and those happily transfer the zones.

However it is important that the servers that send out the notifies
are listed in the "master" directive of the zone, otherwise the notifies
are refused (NOTIFY from non-master server).

	\Maex

--
SpaceNet GmbH             |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Yeah, yo mama dresses
Research & Development    | mailto:maex-sig at Space.Net | you funny and you need