NEWBIE QUESTION ABOUT DNS

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Jun 15 17:50:38 UTC 1999

In article <7k5qmv$q5k$1 at fe2.cs.interbusiness.it>,
Stefano Santangelo <stefano.santangelo at europe-net.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>I'm sorry, but mine is a fool question about how DNS work (I'm trying to
>understand it....).
>I understood (probably...)it is hierarchical, that is to say if I ask my
>server for a domain that he's not authoritative for, he ask to "someone
>else" (the root server for the .com TLD for instance, which says what is the
>name server authoritative for that domain), but it's right this I can't
>figure out, how does my name server know the "root server"?

It has a file listing all the root servers; see
<ftp://ftp.rs.internic.net/domain/named.root> for the current version of
the file.  And to make sure it has an up-to-date list, one of the first
things it does after starting up is ask one of the servers in the file for
the current list of root servers.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com