GlobalDispatch and port 7

Kilheffer, John R. john.kilheffer at amp.com
Tue Jun 15 19:53:51 UTC 1999

You should be blocking all port 7 (echo) as well as other low ports (like
chargen, daytime, etc.) from the Internet.  Using these ports is a popular
way to launch a denial of service attack (spoof a return IP address using
port 7 as the originating port and send the packet to the chargen port of a
second system and poof!  You have the two locked in a echo/chargen loop).

-jk