Automatic removal of DNS record from Secondary Bind Server.

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Jun 16 21:57:14 UTC 1999

   From: "Jeff S. Spofford" <jspofford at hypercon.com>
   Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 16:52:10 -0500

   Thanks for writing back,

   The secondary server updates/removes records within a domain file just fine
   - It is the actual domain file (zone file) itself that I want to have
   removed automatically  from the /var/named directory and from named.conf
   when I completely remove a domain from my primary server.   I'm sorry I
   didn't use the right terminology (you just get used to telling the my
   co-workers how it works, and it blows up in my face when I need help :-) )

   But anyway - Do you know of a way that this can happen?

No.  Secondary zones are configured manually -- there's no way for a
secondary server to find out what zones the primary server is configured
for.

In fact, you normally *don't* want the secondary server to remove the zone
automatically in this case.  Suppose you removed the zone from the primary
server by mistake?  When you notice this you would probably shut down the
server, and the secondary server will answer all the queries for the zone.
But if the secondary server automatically removed the zone as well, it
wouldn't be able to act as a backup in this case.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com