Secondary stuff

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Jun 16 22:00:34 UTC 1999

In article <7701D223FAB9D2118F6800105A0F0C0C38F016 at imps0064.us.dg.com>,
Pandit, Tushar <tpandit at imps0014.us.dg.com> wrote:
>If my secondary loads its zone files from the primary and in these zone
>files I have some MX records. Do I need to
>have address records for the mail exchangers(in the MX records) in the
>secondary files ?

MX records are required to point to names with A records.  I don't
understand what you mean by "in the secondary files", though.  You don't
put anything in the zone files on the secondary server, they're created
automatically when it performs a zone transfer from the primary server.
If the MX record points to a name in the same zone, the primary server
should have an A record in its zone file, and this will be copied to the
secondary server as part of the zone transfer.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com