bad referral's and BIND 8.2

Frank Marchan mmarchan at usa.alcatel.com
Thu Jun 17 16:30:13 UTC 1999

Hi,

I have a problem with an 8.2 server picking up bad NS records.

I am using internal roots with primarily 8.1.2 servers.  I recently
upraded a non-root server to 8.2.  This 8.2 server is getting referrals
with NS information that is counter to what the internal roots are
stating.  It seems that with 8.1.2, the name server would log
"bad referral" messages and ignore the referrals.  The 8.2 server,
however, is accepting the wrong information and getting bogus NS
records.

I know that the conflicts in internal NS records should be resolved to
clean things up, but it seems that the 8.1.2 server was able to ignore
information that was counter to what the internal roots were stating.

Is this a problem with 8.2?  Why did 8.1.2 behave differently?

Thanks in advance,

Frank

--
M. Frank Marchan