DNS Forwarders

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Jun 17 23:58:27 UTC 1999

> --------------281404252BE7322388532E37
>
> We have a DNS server running BIND 8.2 on a Linux Slackware box that
> resides behind a packet filtering firewall.  I've disabled all filters
> essentially making it a simple router.  I've finally managed to get DNS
> working locally.  However, we are part of a larger corporation that has
> its own DNS setup and is not willing to make us a child of their parent
> structure.  I would however like to assign names to devices locally and
> I'd also like to be able to resolve internet names too as well as
> corporate devices at the head office. Right now, all computers point
> their DNS setting to the corporate DNS server.  I'd like to change this
> so that they point locally here on our segment.
>
> Again, I have it resolving local names, but I can't get it to do
> anything outside of our site.  In other words, the forwarders statement
> doesn't seem to be working..  I am VERY new to DNS.  I've read most of
> DNS and BIND but there's very little on how I might get this type of
> configuration working -- or perhaps there's more and I just don't
> understand enough of it.  Anyway, if someone could maybe take a look at
> my NAMED.CONF file below and make any suggestions if possible, that'd be
> a big help.  Any other resources would also assist.  Again, I am very
> new to DNS so dumb it down a little ;-).
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

	You still need a hints file with "forward first;" the default
	forward mode.  While you don't need a hints file with "forward
	only;" this only works in 8.2.1 (in beta).

		see ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind/src/testing/t6b/

	Note "forward only;" is broken in 8.2.

> // DNS Config File
> options {
>         directory "/var/named";
>         forwarders { 205.245.14.9; };
> };
>
> zone "mycomp.ca" in {
>         type master;
>         file "db.mycomp";
> };

	This should be "0.1.10.in-addr.arpa"

> zone "10.1.0.in-addr.arpa" in {
>         type master;
>         file "db.10.1.0";
> };

	This should be "57.168.192.in-addr.arpa".

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org