Bind 8.1.2

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Jun 18 00:48:27 UTC 1999

> I have no problem pinging the ip addr. of the root servers.  When I start
> named server in the debug mode, I can see that it's trying to contact
> the root servers but could not make connection.  As far as the firewall
> is concern, I did open port 53 for both TCP and UDP.  Also, the cache
> file is the one that we are using on our current DNS server and is up
> to date.
> Thanks for taking the time to response.  I will take your advise and look
> into the firewall to see if it might be the problem.

	Add the following to the options block

		query-source address * port 53;

	This locks the source port to 53 rather than letting the system
	assign a different port every time named starts up.  It does not
	have to be locked to 53 but given you have opened that port up
	for incoming queries you may as well send the outgoing queries
	out the same hole.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org