Unregistered local domain yet internet access?

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Thu Jun 24 09:28:05 UTC 1999

    Payne> I've wondered about this question.  I would think that if
    Payne> my in-house DNS server is slower accessing the internet
    Payne> than is my ISP's DNS server, I would better off letting my
    Payne> ISP's nameserver resolve a name.  Is this true?

It depends on the ISP. What if they decide to move that name server
(or switch it off) without telling you? If you have idiot resolvers,
they could be saturating your line to the ISP with stupid DNS queries
for non-existent names. At least if you'd a local name server, that
traffic wouldn't be going over the line to your ISP. These
considerations should be more important than whether a DNS lookup to
one server takes X ms and Y ms to another.

Generally speaking, it doesn't hurt to run a local name server and
it's usually a Very Good Thing.