ns_resp: query(www.bonnellandson.com)

Steinar Haug sthaug at nethelp.no
Sat Jun 19 11:53:00 UTC 1999

[Jim Reid]

|   FYI, it's probably impossible for the owners of .com to probe every NS
|   record for every one of the bazillion .com domains and check that they
|   are telling the truth. And even if they could do that, getting the
|   world to fix its broken name servers is an even bigger problem.

Possibly. But for the .no domain we certainly intend to try. Currently,
there is a requirement of at least two *working* name servers to register
a .no domain. The followup after the domain has been registered has not
been good enough so far - but in the future we intend to systematically
track and verify that each domain has working name servers as long as it
is registered.

A domain which doesn't have working servers (over an extended period)
will be phased out. (The domain holder and the people running the name
servers for the domain will have the opportunity to correct the problem,
of course, including the transfer to other name servers. But if the name
servers remain non-functional, the domain *will* be phased out.)

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no