another error message

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Tue Jun 22 09:09:20 UTC 1999

>>>>> "michael" == michael mulligan <michael.mulligan at mail.state.ky.us> writes:

    michael> Hi, could I get an explanation for the following? thanks
    michael> ns_forw: query(255.24.69.216.in-addr.arpa) contains our
    michael> address (FIREFLY.STATE.KY.US:162.114.219.11

Your name server did a lookup for 255.24.69.216.in-addr.arpa. The
answer that came back included information about itself: probably an NS
and A record in the Authority and Additional Information sections of
the reply. Your name server doesn't like this. Some other name server
is saying that it should know about 255.24.69.216.in-addr.arpa and
your server doesn't know about that name.

So it probably means the name server that was queried for
255.24.69.216.in-addr.arpa believes that this is in a zone that has
been delegated to your name server. However your server is not
authoritative for that zone. Another possibility is someone is trying
to pollute your name server's cache by piggybacking "interesting"
resource records into possibly fake DNS replies.