Cannot stop/start new BIND 8.2.1

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Jun 24 17:38:51 UTC 1999

> In article <3770E9F5.F41E4661 at bnl.gov>, Frank Lepera  <flep at bnl.gov> wrote:
> >    "named" doesn't start.
>
> Since named creates the socket, if it doesn't start then there won't be
> one, and the error you got makes sense.

I checked the code, and verified on a handy Linux system - if the
command is "start", and no 'named' is running, then it will exec a new
'named'.  No socket is checked.

The error message remains puzzling - it seems to be saying that it's
checking for a socket even though no 'named' is running.

> >>         You can still use ndc in signal mode (ndc -s) if you have to.
> >
> >    Will try this!
>
> If named hasn't started, signal mode should also fail.  How can you send a
> message or signal to a process that doesn't exist?

See above.

Still and all, the original requestor should start 'named' from his
"rc" files in the manner normal to his system.