TTL questions

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Jun 22 21:59:00 UTC 1999

> Hi all.  I'm using bind-8.2 on a linux box, and I'm receiving a TTL
> message after upgrading from 4.x:
>
> Jun 19 22:33:59 apps named[6279]: Zone "mydomain.com" (file
> db.mydomain.com): No default TTL set using SOA minimum instead
>
> I have the 3rd edition bind book, but I can't find where this problem
> might be discussed..
>
> My SOA is:
>
> @ IN SOA ns.mydomain.com. admin.ns.mydomain.com. (
>                 1999071011      ;serial (yyyymmddxx)
>                 86400           ;refresh every 3 hours
>                 3600            ;retry every 1 hour
>                 604800          ;expire in 7 days
>                 86400 )         ;minimum ttl 1 day

FAQ ALERT.

The fifth number is no longer the default TTL or the minimum TTL.  It
is the TTL for "negative caching" [q.v.].  BEFORE the SOA, you should
insert:
	$TTL		86400
to preserve your old default TTL.

FAQ ALERT.

> What am I missing?  Also, I read that C and C++ style comments, as well as
> # signs are now supported as comments.  I tried using # signs, and it
> totally complained.. What happened here?

The ";" comments are still all that is allowed in the zone files.  The
zone file syntax has not massively changed.  The named.conf syntax has
[hence the name change as well].  That is where you can use /*...*/ and
//... and #... comments.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B