dns newbie - lame server

Brian Yeomans yeomans at mindspring.net
Thu Jun 24 15:19:30 UTC 1999

Hello Friend,

   From DNS and BIND 2nd edition page 140

    "A parent name server is delegating a subdomain to a child name server,
and the child name server is not authoritative for the subdomain."

A root named server is saying for this domain foo.com query  that
nameserver.  When that nameserver is queried it has no information
regarding foo.com

For documentation I suggest two resources

1) DNS and BIND 3rd edition published by O'Reilly & Associates
2) Bind Operations Guide (BOG) found at
http://www.isc.org/view.cgi?/products/BIND/docs/index.phtml

Hello,

--