Question about 8.2.1 round robin of CNAMEs

Lance Pattist lpattist at sta.samsung.com
Fri Jun 25 16:14:01 UTC 1999

> Are you querying an authoritative server or a caching server?  Since the
> authoritative server only returns one CNAME at a time (but in round-robin
> fashion), a caching server will just contain the one record that it
> received, and keep using that until it times out.  When it queries for the
> A records it will get them all, and then hand them out in round-robin
order
> to its clients.

nslookup reports the answers to all of the following as authoritative:
hydra, hydra1, hydra2, hydra3. The AUTHORITY records indicate my server is
the one responding authoritatively. nslookup is set to use my server using
the "server" commmand. If I set nslookup to do CNAME queries, only hydra1
ever gets returned in response to 'hydra'. However, if I do an nslookup "ls
-d" for the zone, I get all three CNAMEs for hydra reported.

Lance Pattist: lpattist at sta.samsung.com