Pls help! DNS is not world-readable!!!

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Nov 1 15:31:55 UTC 1999

In article <381CF8D6.F6EB3507 at magix.com.sg>,
jhfoo  <dtamcc at magix.com.sg> wrote:
>> Your secondary server, DNS.DEUTSCHETELEKOMASIA.COM, does not seem to have
>> the zone installed on it:
>
>dns.deutschetelekomasia.com is supposed to be my primary server.

Then why does it say dns.dtasia.com is the master server in the SOA
record?

>secdns.pacific.net.sg is my secondary server. Do you think this is where the
>problem lies?

Well, there's something wrong with the dns.deutschetelekomasia.com server,
since it's giving out incomplete, non-authoritative answers:

; <<>> DiG 2.2 <<>> dtasia.com any @dns.DEUTSCHETELEKOMASIA.COM +norecurse
; (1 server found)
;; res options: init defnam dnsrch
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr ra; Ques: 1, Ans: 1, Auth: 0, Addit: 0
;; QUESTIONS:
;;	dtasia.com, type = ANY, class = IN

;; ANSWERS:
dtasia.com.	86400	SOA	dns.dtasia.com. administrator.dtasia.com. (
			1	; serial
			10800	; refresh (3 hours)
			3600	; retry (1 hour)
			604800	; expire (7 days)
			86400 )	; minimum (1 day)

;; Total query time: 334 msec
;; FROM: tools to SERVER: dns.DEUTSCHETELEKOMASIA.COM  202.42.223.254
;; WHEN: Mon Nov  1 10:28:00 1999
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 28  rcvd: 82

>Btw, can Bind 8 support old Bind 4 named.boot conf file, rather than the default
>named.conf format?

No.  Use the named-bootconf program that comes with BIND 8 to convert your
named.boot file to named.conf format.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com