Wildcard MX breaks A record

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Nov 3 21:10:59 UTC 1999

Christine,
                 In a master zone file, a line that begins with whitespace uses the leftmost element of the previous line as its leftmost element. So you have to
be careful where you put records in the file. When you added the wildcard MX *above* your first A record, then that A record, because the line begins with
whitespace, was re-interpreted as being for "*" instead of "@". So effectively the A record for foo.com disappeared, which explains why both foo.com and
www.foo.com no longer resolve. ftp.foo.com and dialup.foo.com were unaffected since those lines don't start with whitespace.

                                                                                                                                            - Kevin