search lists or hermit crabs

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Fri Nov 5 17:32:03 UTC 1999

>       When I do an nslookup on "bts63t01.i.bts63.comversens.com" (with no
> dot) the query will first
> append "i.bts63.comversens.com", then it will append
"bts63.comversens.com"
> and finally it
> looks for the correct name.   So the first query will look like:
>
>     bts63t01.i.bts63.comversens.com.i.bts63.comversens.com
>
> the rcode for this query is "NXDOMAIN"
>
> What does NXDOMAIN mean? None-existent domain?

Yup:  "No such domain name."

> The second query starts without any delay and looks for :
>
> bts63t01.i.bts63.comversens.com.bts63.comversens.com
>
> On this query it times out three times for a total of 42 seconds.
> the opcode of query returns an rcode of SERVFAIL.
>
> Why do I get two different rcodes and why is it timing out?

A SERVFAIL error is an indication of a fairly severe problem
somewhere.  If everything were working correctly, you'd get
another NXDOMAIN response.

Perhaps there's a problem with the bts63.comversens.com name servers.
You could check that.  Or you could turn on your local name server's
debugging and look for an indication of what's going wrong.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.