Easy question

John N Dvorak dvorak at capu.net
Sat Nov 6 22:24:39 UTC 1999

There are many ways to do this.  You have probably already received an
awk/sed solution using substitution, but I thought I would throw out a
Perl5 solution for those who like command-line Perl tools.

Here's a line that will back up all the files while it replaces the
content (replace perl with perl5 as necessary):

perl -i.bak -pe 's/oldnameserver/newnameserver/g' /var/named/db*

This will look for all instances of oldnameserver and replace it with
newnameserver.

Your old files will be backed up with .bak extensions, but you can change
this to your liking.

Just one more way to do it :)

JD

John N Dvorak | dvorak at capu.net
Director of Technology
CapuNet, LLC - Corporate Internet Solutions
(301) 881-4900 x8018