start of authority shortcut??

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Sun Nov 7 03:43:27 UTC 1999

> I have two production SCO servers that I set up bind version 8.1.1 on a
> while ago.  I was only using dns for internal name resolution, so I
> kinda breezed thru setting it up and didn't really take the time to try
> to really learn it.  One of the things that I included was a named.soa
> file, and at the top of each of the other relevant files I just put...
>
> $INCLUDE named.soa
>
> Finally my company is bringing its web and email servers in house, and I
> set up a master dns server on our firewall and made the two SCO boxes
> slaves.  I bought the O'Reilly book DNS and Bind and took the time to
> figure everything out.  Nowhere in any example I could find was there
> mention of this soa shortcut.  Is it valid?  Is it safe?

Valid, yes.  Safe, maybe not.  Do you really want to use the same zone
timing values for all of your zones?  If you change one of your zones, do
you really want to indicate to your slaves that all of your zones have
changed?

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.