Public IPs and nameservers on firewall

G. Roderick Singleton gsingleton at home.com
Sun Nov 7 12:34:12 UTC 1999

Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <38242744.90DDAE89 at home.com>,
> G. Roderick Singleton <gsingleton at home.com> wrote:
> >I have a DNS server defined as "slave to master" local to my network.
> >Can I put my PRIVATE addresses in this DNS server's zone file and
> >achieve the same effect as if I had put them externally.
>
> You can't put them in the zone file on the slave server, since it gets
> overwritten whenever the slave performs a zone transfer.  That's why I
> later suggested using a subzone for your private entries.

I have sent in the solution I'm currently using.  you'll see it
when the moderators approve it.  Basically I found that I can
run my little PRIVATE network using my hosts file.  So far so
good.  I shall try Barry's subdomain as the next step if there
are problems with the hosts solution.  Any comments?

> >> Another solution would be to put these IP's in a subdomain, and configure
> >> your firewall or an internal server as the master server for the
> >> subdomain.  If you use an internal server, it can be configured to forward
> >> everything else to the firewall.
>
> [Why do I frequently have to edit my own signature out -- can't you do that
> yourself when you're replying?]

Because it's there and cute ;-)

> >I thought of this but put it aside because of "how to bind to port"
> >issues that I thought might get in the way. This is where I
> >see that we are getting close to having to deal with an internal
> >root.
>
> I don't know what issues you're talking about.  I was describing the
> standard split DNS configuration, which is very common.

Yeah, yeah. But I'm lazy. If I must change this is the way I'll
go.  And thanks.

G. Roderick Singleton, <gsingleton at home.com> PATH tech,
71 Underhill Drive, Unit 159, Toronto, ON  M3A 2J8
Voice : 416-452-4583 Fax: 416-452-0036 Toll Free: 1-800-354-PATH

*** Notice To Bulk Emailers: Attention!  Pursuant to US Code, Title 47,
Chapter 5, Subchapter II, 227, any & all unsolicited commercial e-mail
sent to this address is subject to a download and archival fee in the
amount of the $1500 US and copies will be forwarded to domain
administrators.  Emailing denotes acceptance of said terms!