load sharing help

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Nov 12 18:26:31 UTC 1999

In article <80g5hc$alu at journal.concentric.net>,
Timothy Wolters <twolters5 at cncdsl.com> wrote:
>If I have load sharing among ip addresses set up in BIND, is it able to
>detect when a server goes off line and remove this address from the
>rotation?  If not is there some way to set this up, or should I just bite
>the bullet and buy Cisco Local Director?

No, BIND can't detect this.  How would it do so, since it doesn't know what
those addresses are for?  You could have a firewall that allows connections
only on a specific port, but there's clearly nothing in the zone file that
indicates which ports those are; if BIND tried to check the host's status
using some other protocol, it would think it's down.

If you want to do this, you should get something like a Local Director or a
reverse proxy like Inktomi.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com