reverse lookup on local IP (10.0.0.1)?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Nov 12 18:34:59 UTC 1999

In article <80gq0s$ek4$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
alex  <alexkrowitz at my-deja.com> wrote:
>Does anyone know whether I should be able to nslookup my local IP?
>
>I have a small network set up as 10.x.x.x, and dial in to an ISP.
>My caching nameserver is on 10.0.0.1.
>If I try (from the 10.0.0.1 machine) to nslookup 10.0.0.1, I get:
>
>-> Server:  localhost
>-> Address:  127.0.0.1
>
>-> *** localhost can't find 10.0.0.1: Non-existent host/domain
>
>Shouldn't I be able to resolve 10.0.0.1 to a name?

You need to make your caching server authoritative for the 10.in-addr.arpa
reverse zone, and add a PTR record for its own address.  It won't be able
to do this by its normal caching scheme, because the public delegation of
that reverse domain obviously won't point to servers that list your
machines.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com