CNAME and OTHER data error

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Nov 12 22:34:14 UTC 1999

On Fri, Nov 12, 1999 at 05:35:14AM -0800, chris wrote:
> It's late, I'm sure I'm looking over something stupid, but how the heck
> does this violate the CNAME and OTHER data rule? I thought that was only
> a problem when you had a CNAME round robin like setup.
>
> www              IN CNAME               @
> mail             IN CNAME               @
			^ CNAME record.
> mail             IN MX 10               @
			^ OTHER record.
> @                IN A           xx.xx.xx.xx
>
> It's choking on the MX line.

Yes.  That's the OTHER record to the CNAME.  When you have a CNAME
record, you cannot have ANY other record.  Including SOA or NS or A or
MX.

Having said that ... recent RFCs allow certain authentication records,
but I don't solidly remember which ones, so I'll suggest that you peruse
the archives if you need to know.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B