/usr/local/etc/named.conf

David Spigelman dspigelm at acp.org
Mon Nov 15 20:36:42 UTC 1999

Everything I've read indicates that the named.conf file is supposed to
be in the /etc directory. I've compiled and installed 8.2.2-P3, and run
named-bootconf, which copies my old named.boot and creates a named.conf.
So far so good.

But when I try to start named, it comes up with the following message:
can't open '/usr/local/etc/named.conf'. Of course it can't - there isn't
one! So what am I supposed to do with this? Yes, I could copy
/etc/named.conf to /usr/local/etc, but that's not the way it's supposed
to work, is it? What am I doing wrong?

Side point: I also pulled down the patch4 file, but I've no idea what I
am to do with it. It seems to be a shell script, but it doesn't seem to
work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

--

David Spigelman