Slit DNS and MX records

Peter.Pedersen at sas.dk Peter.Pedersen at sas.dk
Tue Nov 16 13:28:43 UTC 1999

Hi,

we have a configuration with internal name-servers (Bind 8.1.2) and external
name-servers on the firewalls.

The configuration on internal servers is the following

/Use firewall for external names
options {
	forward { yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy ; };
	forward only;
};

zone "net.mycompany.com" in {
	type master;
	file "db.net.mycompany.com";
};

resolv.conf: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (internal nameserver/localhost)

external (firewalls):

zone "mycompany.com" in {
	type master;
	file "db.mycompany.com";
};

Resolv.conf:
nameserver  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (internal name-server)

The problem came when we introduced the bind 8.1.x bind, since this version
does not allow a zone file to contain other domains data e.g.

mycompany.com.	IN MX 10 mail1.net.mycompany.com.
mycompany.com.	IN MX 20 mail2.net.mycompany.com.
mycompany.com.	IN MX 30 mail3.net.mycompany.com.

This infomation was prevoius contained in the "db.net.mycompany.com" zone
file, but now we need to introduce the parent domain "mycompany.com" on the
internal name-servers and configure these to be masters for this zone. This
new master zone need to know all information (web servers etc) defined in
the external domain "mycompany.com"

We would like to avoid this duplication of data and just have the data for
mail-exhanger  and use forward to resolve
other host in the "mycompany.com" domain.

How is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Peter Pedersen

E-mail: 		peter.pedersen at sas.dk