Probably a *very* stupid question....

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Tue Nov 16 18:40:57 UTC 1999

    Ola> On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, JJ wrote:
    >> Hi Folks,
    >> Is it possible to do a round-robin on PTR records ??

Yes, but it's probably not a sensible thing to do. Why do want half
the reverse lookups of the 192.168.0.1 to return one name and the other
half return another name?

    >> 1.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa.  IN PTR server.company.com.
    >> 1.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa.  IN PTR server.uk.company.com.
    >>
    >> I've tried this on a server but a lookup of 192.168.0.1 always
    >> returns the last address....

Well that could be because you're querying a name server which doesn't
do round-robin or has been configured to always return a set of
resource records in the same order. Or you're just unlucky because
every time you do a lookup, another odd-numbered set of lookups is
done before you lookup the name again.

    Ola> IFAIK there is no roundrobin on PTR.

Round robin works on ANY set of identical resource records of any
type.

    Ola> Why would you like to do that?

Good question. It makes no sense to me, but I presume it does to the
original poster.

    Ola> You should use CNAME on the hostname instead.

    Ola> server		IN	A	192.168.0.1
    Ola> server.uk	IN	CNAME	server

This is utterly wrong. What you've suggested above has got nothing
whatsoever to do with PTR records.