setting DNS for my linux

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Nov 16 19:40:22 UTC 1999

On Mon, Nov 15, 1999 at 11:17:34AM -0500, Adrian Goins wrote:
> you cannot run as master on an IN-ADDR.ARPA block smaller than a /24 (256
> addresses).  the most you can do is run secondary and have your ISP update
> the block, or use CNAME->PTR redirection to get control of the 8 addys you
> have assigned to you.
>
> setting yourself as master for a portion of a block that someone else is
> running master for is a "Bad Thing." (tm)
>
> Adrian Goins <adrian at mamamedia.com>
> Website Server Manager
> 212.334.3277 x417

Actually, since RFC2317, March 1998 [and before, since that was a "best
current practice"], you could get the owner of the /24 to delegate to
you a subnet of the /24.  I believe that this is what you are calling
"CNAME->PTR redirection."  The point is, you must do it in a manner
similar to the way the RFC does it, and you must get the owner's
co-operation.  So the way the original poster was doing it would not
work.  But it CAN BE DONE.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B