Whois

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Nov 16 19:41:42 UTC 1999

In article <3830C3CF.F1E99B7D at u2.netgate.net>,
David Hamill  <hamill at u2.netgate.net> wrote:
>    My question is since there are more than one "retailer" of domain
>names besides
>the internic (Network Solutions) at this time, are there more than one
>whois database
>I need to querry for available domain names (.net .org .com). The reason
>for my question is I have heard that the internic is not  keeping  track
>of the other domain
>retailers which would make my installed whois script next to worthless.

All the gTLD registrars register their names with a common registry that
NSI operates, named whois.crsnic.net (whois.nsiregistry.net is another name
for the same address).  Included in this registry is the name of the whois
server for the registrary that registered the domain.

This is how the registrars avoid trying to assign the same name.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com