Validating named configuration files before "reload"?

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Mon Nov 22 19:09:53 UTC 1999

> On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 09:27:52AM -0700, Cricket Liu wrote:
>
> > The best you could do would be to use the same source that
> > BIND does to parse the config file, and then your tool would
> > have to change with each new release of BIND.  At that point,
> > you may as well just use the server itself.
>
> Perhaps a better thing to do is ask the BIND maintainers to add such a
> tool to BIND?  Perhaps named could be stripped down so that it does
> nothing but parse the files, keeping only as much as might be needed to
> check for errors in syntax?

I think that would make more sense.  A simple command-line option
to test the configuration and return an appropriate exit status would
suffice for a lot of people.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.