dns and zones

Scott Miller srmiller at interbel.net
Wed Nov 24 18:11:07 UTC 1999

I am having a problem setting up my DNS server.  Here's my story.

We have a domain, interbel.net, which is being hosted by another ISP.  We
registered dns1.interbel.net and dns2.interbel.net with network solutions,
along with corresponding IP's.  We asked the other ISP to add these to the
zone file of interbel.net, and gave them the IP's.  I am running RedHat 6.0,
and the version of bind 8 which came along in the package.  (8.2.1 sound
right?)  Anyway, here is where I am running into problems.  I know that I am
supposed to set up this box to somehow look at the existing dns server for
interbel.net.  There are a couple different places that I can put in the dns
numbers for this server, but O'Reilly's DNS and BIND book either don't cover
it, or I'm over-looking it.  What we want to do is set up this server to
host just a couple domains.  We also want to have one of the domains act as
the primary domain for the server (which I think I have found how to do, but
the other needs to come first) so we can also set up a mail server in the
near future using that other domain.

I would appriciate any and all input on this subject.

Thanks
Scott Miller