Error or SOA when no A record?

John D. Smerdon jds at smerdon.livonia.mi.us
Sun Nov 28 18:44:23 UTC 1999

My system (running sendmail 8.9.3) is trying to send mail to someone at
vintagehouse.com.  I can see sendmail send a DNS request for an A record
and an error is returned because there is no A record for
vintagehouse.com.

Sendmail does not try querying for an MX record, and there is an MX
record for the domain.

When I query other domains like vintagehouse.com that do not have A
records, I receive an SOA in reply to the A record query.

Is vintagehouse.com DNS wrong in returning an error?  Should it return
the SOA for the domain?  Or is this a sendmail problem?

Thanks!

--
John D. Smerdon;  Livonia, Michigan, USA;  Contents are my opinion.
Home: jds at smerdon.livonia.mi.us