BIND8.2.2 and special Characters

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Mon Nov 29 20:56:08 UTC 1999

> Im upgrading our DNS Server from BIND 4.9.3 to BIND8.2.2. Everything
> works fine but there one little big thing. The BIND4.9.3 Server knows
> DNS Names including a "_" (underscore)  or "+" (Plus). Im sure that
> these are not valid DNS Names, but they exist in the 4.9.3 Server. I´m
> not sure if it is possible the change all DNS entries in order to
> prevent big trouble in the pre x-mas time :-). Is there a switch/
> option/ trick avaible to disable the syntax check of 8.2.2 ?
> The 8.2.2. Server rejects all entries including these signs.

Yes, it's the check-names substatement:

zone "zone-with-illegal-characters" {
    type master;
    file "db.zone-with-illegal-characters";
    check-names warn;    // or ignore
};

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.