What's this ns_forw: query() about? (fwd)

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Nov 30 00:02:31 UTC 1999

In article <Pine.BSO.4.10.9911291713190.2568-100000 at NOC.maKintosh.com>,
John K. <john at noc.makintosh.com> wrote:
>I was wondering about this error that I'm getting in my named log. I have
>no clue about what it means. Any information or explanation would be
>great.
>
>default: info: ns_forw: query(WORKGROUP.maKintosh.com) contains our
>address (NOC.maKintosh.com:208.188.197.97)
>
>The hostname of this box is NOC.maKintosh.com and the respective IP
>address is 208.188.197.97. No where in any of my zone files is the mention
>of 'WORKGROUP'.

Someone was trying to look up WORKGROUP.maKintosh.com, and the query was
sent to this box.  When it looked up the nameservers for the maKintosh.com
zone, it found its own address listed, but it's not configured as an
authoritative server for the domain.

I'm not sure why it's complaining, though.  When I query noc.makintosh.com,
it seems to work fine for this domain.

I did notice something strange, though.  According to the root servers
(which are primed from the WHOIS database), the address of the secondary
server I.maKintosh.com is 206.160.152.252.  But according to your server,
I.maKintosh.com has the same address as NOC.maKintosh.com.  The address
listed in the root servers doesn't respond.  Is that why you don't list it
in the NS records in your zone file?

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com