Help with BIND 8

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Oct 1 15:46:15 UTC 1999

> I just got my some of my DNS working (pinging in Unix to defined hosts).
> Now  I would like to know if I should define all my workstations as host
> also.  I am using a DHCP server in SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 to assign the TCP/IP
> addresses to my workstations.

Giving your workstations names in DNS is definitely a good idea.  If
your DHCP server [you don't mention which one] does dynamic DNS
transfers, you should make a separate domain for them - static and
dynamic addresses don't seem to mix well [yet?].  If not, just put
names in the DNS database that will follow the IP addresses to wherever
they happen to land.  ;-)

> You will find attached my DNS configuration.  I am not able to use a named
> root cache file (Bind states a syntax error)

You don't include the root cache file, so it is not possible to tell
why.  Suggest you go to one of the FTP or Web sites and get a new one.

If you are using BIND 8.2 or above, you need to add a $TTL line at the
top of your SOA file - I'm sure you've read why in this mailing list a
hundred times.  ;-)

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B