What a mess! I need help...

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Oct 1 19:05:30 UTC 1999

In article <rv9t2ugp3i566 at corp.supernews.com>,
Glenn Davidson <gglom at bigfoot.com> wrote:
>I have inherited a DNS nightmare.  We are moving to a new hardware/software
>solution and I've been asked to straighten out the DNS server.  It appears
>that we switched domain names recently so there's alot of references to the
>old domain.  There are also alot (about 30) domains registered to us and
>each has been given it's own file.  All the files are identical.  There are
>many issues to figure out but I hope I will just be able to get a couple of
>questions answered and then I can get the rest done.
>
>1.    Is it possible to use a CNAME record in the file for the main domain
>to point all the "identical" files (all those other registered domains) back
>to the main domain or am I stuck with having to make a new file for every
>domain that is registered to us? (Right now the /var/named directory is a
>mess)

If all the files are identical, you could simply use the same file, i.e.

zone "a.com" {
  type master;
  filename "generic.db";
}
zone "b.com" {
  type master;
  filename "generic.db";
}
and so on.

I don't see what you mean by putting a CNAME record in the main domain.
Records for a domain have to be in the file for that domain -- they can
contain CNAME records that point back to the main domain; e.g. the
generic.db file could contain:

www CNAME www.maindomain.com.

but I don't see what you think you could do by going the other direction.

>2.    Is there an easy way to configure the switch from the old domain to
>the new one?  The current way is to change the file for the old domain and
>copy it to the file for the new domain and then change the references to the
>old domain (pretty lame I know).

You could make the names in the old domain be CNAMEs that point to the new
domain.  However, MX and NS records are not supposed to point to CNAME
records, and the domain names themselves can't be CNAME records, so you'll
need to change any references to these hostnames.

>3.    The last question: I found out (after asking a ton of questions) that
>there is an internal domain (2 actually) that I need to get figured in also.
>Currently it's managed like the above example with the copying and search
>and replace.  Is there a way to utilize the current file(s) to support the
>internal domain(s) also?

I don't understand this question.  What's different about the internal
domains?

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com