BIND 8.2.1 reports forwarder lame on almost any query?

Michael Fuhr mfuhr at dimensional.com
Sat Oct 2 10:01:53 UTC 1999

"Mathias Koerber" <mathias at koerber.org> writes:

> my new BIND-8.2.1 gives me lots of these:
>
>     Lame server on 'littlechiles.com' (in 'littlechiles.com'?):
> [165.21.83.88].53
>
> where 165.21.83.88 is the caching nameserver I use as forwarder. It
> definitely is
> NOT authoritative for littlechiles.com or any other domain I get this
> message for
> (and it's not supposed to be!).

The CHANGES file in the 8.2.2 development versions mention this problem:

 733.   [bug]       RD is not being set on first message to first forwarder
                    resulting in false "Lame Server" reports and degraded
                    service.

RD is "recursion desired" -- the query to the first forwarder isn't
recursive, so if it doesn't have the answer cached it returns a
referral instead of looking it up.  Your nameserver interprets this
as a lame delegation.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/